Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Real, it just got it.


We played soccer with our freshmen friends on Sunday morning (7 am)


Floating Market in Can Tho, boats abound behind me.



Stove made from clay and beer can, the gas is supplied by Biodigested Pig manure, turned into methane.  Google VACB systems, its pretty cool.

Here are some photos to summarize what has happened in the past weeks.

Tonight was my first night in my homestay, and I am now well aware of the relative luxury in which our group has been living for the past two weeks. This is not to say that my host family lives in extreme poverty, far from it in fact. We have a pretty big house, with a full working kitchen, 3 big bedrooms, a dining area, and a great backyard garden (with shrine). What we lack however, is the air conditioning, full bathroom, balcony-river view, and full social independence that I had back when I lived at the Government-run “Guest House Number 2.” I don't want to sound like a whiny american pussy who's been spoiled by the capitalist middle-class paradise he has lived in his whole life, but thats pretty much how I feel right now. Granted, I've been here all of 3 hours, and have just had the mechanics of bathing here explained to me by my 14 year old host brother (hint: bucket) and am feeling a little vulnerable without my Wi-Fi access and free HBO. Nonetheless, I have unpacked my clothes, set up my mosquito net, and plugged in my fan, and am ready to buckle down for the next 4 weeks. It is a consolation that my family is very nice, and very accepting of my muddled attempts at speaking Vietnamese (I hear other families are known for their merciless teasing).

NOTE: After a bucket bath and some breakfast (of squid and fish noodles) I am feeling much better today.  More later!

1 comment:

  1. should i purchase a bucket for next year??? yknow, so that you have a little piece of vietnam when you return?? :)

    ReplyDelete