Saturday, February 14, 2009

(Impending)New Zealand - LA LAyover

hola,
i am currently listening to some easy jazz in the admiral's club in LAX, snuggled up in a leather armchair and trying to pep up with some espresso. no, this isn't a special episode of gossip girl. i would need an overly large and obnoxious leather tote bag that requires a family history to purchase, a few blackberrys, and absolutely perfect hair after being awake and traveling for the past 9 hours, and i fall far short of all requirements at present ;). after a rather hectic shipping out of boston, including leaving one of my bags at home (!only me!), the flight left as scheduled but as i was cracked out from barely any sleep, pre-trip anxieties (will i make any friends in new zealand? does the pilot know the way? will peter jackson please please be my academic advisor?) and an empty stomach (the worst!), sleep did not come easy on the plane. this was not helped by the veritable abundance of under-4-year-olds that accompanied me on the flight, including two who sat behind me on what was apparently their first flight. i begrudge them nothing, as i was also once an under-fiver, and also asked my parents why everything was the way it was, and made everything in to a song to be sung loudly and proudly in the absence of any other background noise. in fact i had a chilling reality check as we landed in LA when the little girl behind pointed out the window at a cathay international plane and said "that blue plane, with the flower, that's my FAVORITE!". wow. she could have taken the words right out of my mouth. sad but true. i managed to get a day pass (haha) for the admiral club to get a little peace and quiet before i have to hike it over to my terminal and go through security all over again and then [gulp!] my 13 hour flight! fortunately i have 'iron man' on my computer. i wonder how many times i can watch that before someone behind me requests assistance for me. now my next task for the day is to find a killer burger. 'how i met your mother' was playing on the plane and i foolishly watched it and foolishly agreed with the main character marshall's theory on the importance of a good burger. unfortunately watching all the slow motion close-ups of marshall eating 'new york's best burger' have truly taken their toll on me. i must go quench my burger fever or be really disappointed trying. and then...on to new zealand! will write again from the future :D
-mx

No comments:

Post a Comment